Thursday, November 20, 2008

John McCains Concession Speech

After reading John McCains actual concession speech I found that there are things that I found effective and some thing that I found to be ineffective. The beginning of his speech revolves around congradulating president elect, Barack Obama, on his momentous victory. I found McCains words very effective and inspiring. Rather than just congradulating Obama, McCain goes further to describe what a historic event had just taken place and that he is proud of Obama's ability to inspire the hopes of millions of Americans. I think this part of the speech is especially effective because at no point does McCain sound bitter about his defeat. I would like to use this in our speech because I believe it shows the maturity and respect that John McCain truly has for America and all Americans. I also like his historical reference to Booker T. Washington being invited to dine at the whitehouse, and how far we have come since then. Rather than focusing on his defeat and surface level compliments to Obama, he chooses to point out to his supporters that this outcome should not be viewed in sadness but as an amazing step forward for our nation. I think using quotes and stories like this would be a very effective way to reach our audience.
I also found it interesting and unique how he told the audience that he blames himself for not winning the election, not the voters. I think it is effective because it makes him likeable. He is placing the blame on himself rather than letting his supporters believe they failed him. In the next section on the speech he mentions Sarah Palin and her effort in the campaign. While his words were very sincere, I think that in our speech we should spend more time talking about her contribution. I think that she was a very vital part of the compaign, both good and bad, and I think adding in more about her would be effective.
I love the ending of his speech because he really portrays how grateful he was just to be a part of this election. I think it is admirable that he can see past defeat and comprehend the priviledge he has had to run for this high office. Overall, I think this speech is more effective than most others I have heard.

No comments: