Monday, October 13, 2008

Use of Arguments Within the Portfolio

Each of the three pieces within my portfolio present different ways of arguing. The arguments are all about the same general topic but are argued differently because of the context to which they are written.

In the letter to the editor the main focus is the credibility of the author of the original op-ed. There is also a difference in the way the letter to the editor is written. People reading my letter will have already read the original article, this allows me to make very specific arguments without having to go in depth about background.

When writing my own op-ed article was comparably easier than writing the letter to the editor. Rather than challenge someone else's argument, I was able to formulate my own. While writing this article I tried to focus on only the things I could backup with evidence. Therefore, my article is generally focused on her known accomplishments.

The humor portion of the portfolio was the most difficult argument to make. Some people are naturally good at creating humor pieces, I on the other hand am horrible at it. I think that humor as an argument is a very effective method if done correctly. Subjects that are usually heated arguments can be portrayed with out the negative response.

No comments: