Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Example of Humor

http://www.theonion.com/content/whitehousewar/sarahpalin

I found this page on theonion.com. The page basically gives some quotes or funny facts from Palin then it has a section on key issues. I find the site effective with its humorous tone mainly because it points out Sarah Palin's flaws without the usual angry response. If some of those things were said in just an op-ed or magazine I don't think it would go over well with many readers. Most of the points are meaningless in real life such as "Beauty Contest Victories:1984 Miss Wasilla, 1984 Miss Alaska, 2008 Republican Vice-Presidential Nomination". Of course Palin's beauty pageants have nothing to do with being elected to vice president but used in this type of joke the statement is effective. The site goes on to show some key issues of the election, such as immigration, climate, and health care and goes on to say Sarah Palin's stance on the issue. Each of these categories mearly says "Whatever Mr. McCain thinks is best." This use of humor insinuates that Palin has no mind of her own and agrees with whatever John McCain believes. In a normal setting this may offend Palin supporters but put in this context it is funny.

13 comments:

Michelle J. said...

1. Effective- I think it is effective because most everyone has seen the picture and knows what it stands for.
2. Suggestions- I didn't really understand what it was about until you introduced it. I think you should probably change the captions a little bit to express what you are trying to say.
3. Response- When the viewer understands what you are trying to say, it is funny ahd effective. The point just needs to be made more clear.

Allie Weaver said...

I think your presentation of your humourous argument was really cute. It was a very creative idea and really represented well Palins attractiveness to feminists. I think it does present a pretty broad topic and isn't necessarily funny but it does present your point effectively. It represents well the view of Sarah Palin.

Courtney J said...

Danielle-

Effective- The picture is really well known and makes it easy to understand. It also effectively shows Palin as a strong woman

Suggestions- Could do without McCain's picture and quote at the bottom, but it's also funny

Response- It was really cute and easy to understand.

Tommy C. said...

Danielle,
Great picture of McCain-very funny
Great use of throwback ad that almost everyone will recognize
I wouldn't change a thing

-R said...

1. Clearly explains point of view
2. Your picture of McCan looks like Cheney
3. It is easy to follow and is entertaining

Brooke said...

I loved the idea of the old poster. The message of what it stood for back then, and how you are using it to represent what McCain is attempting to do in the election with Palin is great. I think it was a very clever idea and I think you did a great job with it.

M. Christine said...

I thought that your cartoon was effective and relevant. Using something like that poster is something that a large majority of your audience will recognize, so no further knowledge will be needed to understand your cartoon. I thought that McCain's quote was clever as well. I wouldn't change anything!

Walt H said...

I really liked the picture of McCain. The 50s ad was a great idea. I would suggest to change McCain's statement to make it stronger and more obvious.

Sean said...

I liked the presentation of your cartoon. The imagery was funny and appealing. It could be a little clearer though. It was confusing to me how this cartoon tied into your topic, based on why he chose Palin...but the cartoon was good.

Thomas M. said...

I thought that using the world war 2 poster was an interesting and creative way of presenting your arugment.

Make McCain look a little less creepy though...

Hector said...

The subject was a bit confusing. I think you need to add something to the picture that might help make the subject more clear because it seems that you need to explain it in order for people to get it without an explanation. Other then that, I think your idea was really clever. It also went pretty well with your subject.

Unknown said...

Hey honeeeeeeey
I like your point and having McCain be old and Palin be young and the 'face' of his campaign. Thats FUNNY!
and I like how it can stand alone. :)
loooove you

Kelly B. said...

Danielle, I really enjoyed your argument. Your point about Palin being more likeable than McCain is very effective and easy to follow. Maybe try and put Biden into the mix a little bit.