Monday, September 22, 2008

Op-Ed Venue/Audience

My target audience for this op-ed article will be college students. I think it has become apparent that college age students are very important in this years election. Candidates are focusing their campaigns towards this new demographic more and more every day with slogans like "Rock the Vote" and "Declare Yourself". I believe that students, like me and my friends, can make a huge impact on this election if we decide to get out there and vote. I don't want to sway students to vote for one candidate or another but I want to write something that will make them care about the election. As a student myself, I know that all it takes is a little nudge to get interested in what's going on with the election. If a student agrees with the point I am trying to make then maybe that will be enough to inspire them to vote. If a student disagrees with my point then even better. All it took for me to get interested was reading an article that I completely disagreed with. After that, all I wanted to do was research until I could prove the author wrong or prove myself wrong. College students have so much potential to be well informed voters and that is why I want to target them as my audience.

Because I want to target college students, I am going to publish my op-ed article in the Daily Skiff, the TCU Newspaper. I think this will be a good venue to reach students.

No comments: